A veteran of more than 1000 projects, David is a student of leadership and its effect on organizations ranging from private equity ventures and construction/engineering companies, to global technology corporations. With a 99.97% success rate, he has closed 1000+ projects and personally negotiated in excess of $250M in salaries. His creative recruiting principles lead to him being nicknamed the ‘Rogue Recruiter’ by The Wall Street Journal.
David has built an extensive personal network of leading CEOs as well as up-and-coming future executives, permitting him to find the most qualified candidates to grow a company and increase shareholder value. Perry-Martel’s Knowledge-Value™ methodology which David designed, allows clients to rapidly assess critical human qualities, track record and leadership experience.
David is frequently quoted on trends and issues regarding executive search, recruiting and HR in leading business publications including The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Fortune, Forbes, Globe & Mail, WIRED, Operations World, Canadian Business, Computer World, EETimes, NetWork World, HR Today, and appears occasionally as an executive search and labor market analyst for CTV Television and CBC News World.
As HR Policy Adviser of the Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance (CATA), David has developed an extensive knowledge of leadership, innovation and technology. This ever-evolving expertise keeps him at the pulse of most innovative and successful leaders. In 2001 he established CATA’s Homeland Security Task Force. David is immediate past Chair of the Canadian Technology Human Resources Board and past board member of the Software Human Resource Council. A sample of his speaking engagements include: Society of Automotive Engineers – SAE World Congress, CeBit – Germany, National Black MBA Association – Boston Chapter, Society for Human Resource Management – SHRM Philadelphia, Performance Institute, Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance – CATAAlliance, Ottawa Carleton Research Institute, Canadian Academy of Engineering, Canadian Information Processing Society – Calgary, Canadian On-Line Information Summit – Toronto and many others.
David graduated from McGill University in 1982 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Industrial Relations. As well, David Is a Commissioned Officer in the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve, where he Graduated 1st in his class and was awarded the Sword of Honor. David is a recipient of the Top Forty Under 40 Award. He resides in Ottawa with his wife and business partner Anita Martel and four children. David recruits globally. He recently received the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Medal.
- Hiring Greatness: How to Recruit Your Dream Team and Crush the Competition Coauthored with Mark J. Haluska. [Wiley, January 2016]
- Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0: How to Stand Out from the Crowd and Tap Into the Hidden Job Market using Social Media and 999 other Tactics Today Coauthored with Jay Conrad Levinson. [John Wiley & Sons, New York – 2011]
- Guerrilla Marketing for Job-Hunters 2.0: 1001 unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics to land your dream job. Coauthored with Jay Conrad Levinson. [John Wiley & Sons, New York – 2009]
- Guerrilla Marketing for Job-Hunters: 400 unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics to land your dream job. Coauthored with Jay Conrad Levinson. [John Wiley & Sons, New York – 2005]
- Career Guide for the High-Tech Professional: Where the Jobs are NOW and How to Land Them. [Career Press – New York, – 2004]