Vice President of Human Resources
RECRUITMENT MANDATE: Vice President of Human Resources
...that's where you come in.
BIGGER IS NOT BETTER
BETTER IS BETTER
Telesat LEO, their Low Earth Orbit network launching in 2022, will be an industry-leading, next generation satellite constellation that leverages their global, priority Ka-band spectrum rights and patent-pending architecture to fundamentally transform global communications. Telesat LEO will deliver a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds. Telesat LEO will help close the digital divide in remote and challenging locations, accelerate 5G expansion, and set new levels of performance for enterprise, telecom, mobility and government broadband connectivity on land, air and sea.
With their state-of-the-art satellite fleet, engineering excellence, and advanced network architecture, Telesat offers aeronautical service providers reliable and secure satellite connectivity to seamlessly link airlines and their passengers throughout their journeys. Telesat’s advanced network architecture provides support for the in flight connectivity that multiple applications – including engine monitoring, flight crew operations and passenger entertainment – critically rely on.
Leading satellite network service providers are choosing the improved coverage and flexibility of Telstar VANTAGE satellites to meet the growing communications needs of broadcast, enterprise, government and mobility users. With Telstar 19 VANTAGE, Telesat’s high throughput satellite (HTS) at 63º West, customers have even greater choice for implementing high performing broadband networks across the Americas and Atlantic.
Telstar 18 VANTAGE provides extensive coverage of Asia in both C- and Ku-band from its central orbital location of 138° East. And its C- & Ku- capacity extends to Hawaii enabling direct connectivity from Asia to the Americas.
Scope and RespoNsibilities:
In order to support its LEO plans, Telesat is in the midst of a rapid expansion of its workforce in Canada and around the world. In order to support these plans, the company is seeking to fill the role of Vice President of Human Resources.
The new Vice President of Human Resources position will be located in Ottawa and report to the Chief Executive officer.
The Vice President Human Resources role currently has a team of eleven people across three major groups: general HR, talent acquisition and payroll.
Qualifications and experience Include:
- Demonstrated success in the development and delivery of HR programs, strategies, and processes in partnership with the business, including in relation to compensation, benefits, rewards, budgeting, and policy.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results and a dedication to operational and service excellence using positive impact and influence.
- History of successful client relationship management, including at the Executive level, and adept at interacting with a diverse group of colleagues.
- Providing creative thought leadership, including engaging others to provide input, in developing and deploying a vision and aligning others to that vision.
- Proven ability to develop and execute on strategies and deliver superior short- and long-term results in alignment with overall business strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to attract top talent, inspire and bring out the best in others through a demonstrated passion for the business and willingness to recognize and reward the contributions of others.
- Comfortable operating in a complex, global organization.
- Powerful communicator who engages colleagues, business partners, external stakeholders and employees.
- Confident presentation skills and strong interpersonal skills including high EQ and emotional maturity.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
You are an experienced human resource executive with significant organizational design and talent management experience . You have been or currently are responsible for leading and managing the entire HR function for a mid-sized firm (1000+) where you have helped align human capital to the company’s business plan and strategic priorities. You believe in accountability and abhor politics, relying on reasoned facts and debate to underpin your decisions.
You recognized early on in your career that HR is equal parts ‘science’ and ‘art’, and place a heavy emphasis on best practices that create strong business outcomes. You are digitally savvy and have a strong background in sourcing and recruitment. You have 10-15 years’ experience and have already experienced staffing in a rapid growth environment in one or two previous roles. You are knowledgeable about HR standards and legal matters in Canada and have experience with a globally distributed, multi-generational workforce.
On the personal side, you bring a blend of entrepreneurial spirit and corporate sophistication to the HR role. You are happiest when you get to roll up your sleeves and dive into the details because you have a perfectionist’s eye for detail… but appreciate the need to grow your staff – ‘to be the wind beneath their wings’, so you can accomplish bigger goals and move faster in a hyper competitive environment.
By this point you have realized that this is a unique opportunity for personal and professional growth. It goes without saying that you’re a self-starting, self-managing professional who would flourish in a culture of high performance and accountability.
- Minimum of 10 years of directly related industry experience in multidisciplinary Human Resources Management on a global scale.
- A graduate degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations or similar.
- English/French Bilingualism a Strong Asset.
- Background in Telecommunications, Satellite Communications or Technology a Strong Asset.
- The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain NATO Secret Status Government clearance.
YOUR personality characteristics:
You are respectful, have a friendly positive outlook on life and a high energy level. You are flexible to change approach and/or direction when required. You have exceptional interpersonal skills and have strong presentation abilities. You have strong analytical, strategic thinking, and planning skills.
You are quite comfortable playing quarterback. You exhibit a “take charge” attitude, persistence, tenacity, and drive, and you’re always focused on finding a way to accomplish your objectives. You influence others with your sense of urgency – yet appear calm and collected. You work most effectively with colleagues who also have a passion for driving results, questioning the status quo and reinventing their collective future.
More importantly, you are:
- Responsive and Customer-centric.
- Entrepreneurial with a strong “owner’s” mentality.
- Uncompromising in personal and professional character.
- Trustworthy, Bold, Passionate, and Decisive.
- You can not only rapidly gather relevant information, but synthesize it into conclusions, implications and recommendations.
- A creative problem-solver who fixes problems not just identifies them.
- Strong critical thinking, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- Personable and friendly, with a sense of humour.
- Detail-orientation, with a hands-on approach and a high attention to detail.
The working environment and culture at Telesat is unique and offers an outstanding career opportunity for the right individual who will be committed to a long-term relationship with a close-knit organization. Telesat offers a highly competitive compensation package with a base salary and incentives.
Privately held and headquartered in downtown Ottawa, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com.
YOUR NEXT STEP
If you think you’re Telesat’s new Vice President of Human Resources, and your qualifications fit our description above, Apply Now.
All inquiries and discussions are strictly confidential
You can also contact David and Anita directly:
David Perry: firstname.lastname@example.org & (613) 236-6995 ext. 114
Anita Martel: email@example.com & (613) 236-6995 ext. 112